BBC Young Jazz Musician 2022 final to take place this month
Wednesday, November 9, 2022
Celebrating the talent of young jazz musicians, this year’s judging panel will include Ayanna Witter-Johnson, Camilla George and Bill Laurance among others.
The biennial BBC Young Jazz Musician competition will host its 2022 final at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London’s Southbank Centre on 19 November.
The event will be broadcast on BBC Four on 20 November at 8pm, where viewers will be able to watch performances from five shortlisted finalists between the ages of 20 and 23 alongside Nikki Yeoh’s Infinitum trio.
The finalists include:
- Pianist Luke Bacchus from London, aged 21, studying at Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
- Scottish double-bassist Ewan Hastie from Edinburgh, aged 20, studying at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Pianist Nick Manz from Durham, aged 21, studying at Birmingham Conservatoire
- Guitarist Ralph Porrett from Shropshire, aged 23, Guildhall School of Music and Drama graduate
- Saxophonist Emma Rawicz-Szczerbo from Devon, aged 20, currently studying at the Royal Academy of Music.
The expert panel of judges this year will include saxophonist and composer Camilla George; pianist, composer and producer Bill Laurance; vocalist Claire Martin, OBE; multi-instrumentalist, singer and producer Emma-Jean Thackray; and composer, singer and cellist Ayanna Witter-Johnson.
Suzy Klein, BBC head of arts and classical music TV, said: ‘We are delighted to support some exceptional new British jazz talent, and to share their inspiring performances with audiences at home.’
‘It is such a privilege to shine a light on these rising stars, supporting them as they take their first steps in their careers in the music industry. We hope viewers will join us in cheering them on, at the Queen Elizabeth Hall as well as from home.’
In addition to the broadcast on BBC Radio Four, BBC Young Jazz Musician 2022 will also be on iPlayer for 12 months after its initial broadcast, and BBC Radio 3 will also be sharing highlights from the final.